Friday, September 4, 2020

Memories from Vicki Margulies

 Vicki Margulies, Joe's first cousin, writes:

 Although I’m obviously inching in the same general direction, I was and remain Joe’s younger cousin, so alas my memories are usually secondhand or at best limited. Mostly I remember Joe when I'd seem him 'en passant' in Shrub Oak;  he’d often stop by our house on his way to the ball field, for example.   As I recall, brother David revered Joe’s encyclopedic knowledge of Mozart's catalogue as well as his comprehensive knowledge of baseball scores and batting averages.  Frankly, I had no idea what they were talking about then, and am not sure even now that I know what I’m saying.  In those days, Joe was known to walk through our kitchen to see if perchance any of Runya's baked goodies happened to be lying about.  If memory serves, Joe was a particular fan - as I was too - of my mother's chocolate cake, so admittedly I had some trepidation about his brief, but usually productive, visits.

It was always clear that Joe was an esteemed relative, beloved nephew of Runya and Harry, and adored cousin of David's, who had a wealth of information on many fronts.  Since I was ignorant of them all, there were few points of communication for us in the old days.    

 Later, of course I relished Joe's terrific sense of humor, his love for, real interest in, and wide-ranging knowledge of music and all else.  And, of course I consider Joe, one of my very special Zeltzer birthday buddies!  I raise a glass to Joe on this great occasion and send happy birthday wishes to Joe, along with love to Joe, Barbara, Mark, Bonnie, and their families!

xoxoxoxo
Vicki
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zwischen Wissenschaft und Kunst by Dick Zukerman

A poem by George (Dick) Zukerman for his cousin Joe Auslander, on the occasion of his 90th birthday! A limmerickian ode to...