Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Memories from Santiago Molina-Velasco

Santiago Molina-Velasco, the contractor who has lovingly worked on Joe and Barbara's house on "R" street for two decades, kindly shares the following memories, starting with their successful combat against the rats ("varmints" as Santiago puts it) that plague so many DC dwellings.

I met Joe in the year 2000 and I must say that I feel proud and bless to have known him and his wife Barbara, whom I have learned to care and respect and, why not, to love them both. The first time I came to their home, I remember they had a varmint problem because of the restaurants dumping their waste by the parking space fence. Joe walked me to the back of the house that day and picked up what I remember now was a pitchfork, to which I was a little surprised, but soon enough I knew why he had done that. The Varmints that were running around the backyard, were  big and wild: Joe would jump up high with the pitchfork when they got closer and scare them off at the same time. I thought that getting out of that job soon, wasn’t going to be soon enough!


I gave them an estimate and hoped for the best, (You can only imagine what was on my mind.) Well, they gave me the job! And told me to start right away. We conquered and got their backyard back to them and have now made it a great space to entertain and relax. I’m glad now, that I didn’t run away!

 I also remember when part of their home caught on fire in 2005, when they called me that morning to tell me that their beautiful home had been in a fire,  I ran to their home. I remember finding Joe walking around the ashes holding something that seemed dear to him and wondering what would happen now. We had a small conversation and all 3 of us agreed, that together we were going to make that dirty looking diamond of a home shine again. Which we did!

It has been my pleasure to work in many different projects with them both, they are honest and kind, a contractor couldn’t ask for better customers. I feel that God blessed me when he put them in my life, I have learned to care and respect them very much, because in my book, Joe and Barbara are great human beings. I have many wonderful stories and memories about them both and I could probably spend 30 pages trying to write them all down.

  I can tell you one thing, we have spent 20 years shining and polishing their wonderful home, for which they care very much, as I know. It has been a life experience and journey for me, to share as their contractor for the last 2 decades. One can only hope for 2 more decades! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share these few stories. 

Enjoy your father while you have him: ask him questions about his youth and get to know him, because life waits for no one. Long live Joe Auslander!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zwischen Wissenschaft und Kunst by Dick Zukerman

A poem by George (Dick) Zukerman for his cousin Joe Auslander, on the occasion of his 90th birthday! A limmerickian ode to...